Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2011 Garden Planning Begins

Why is it all the garden catalogs start arriving after Christmas?  Maybe because once the holidays are over, the next thing to look forward to is Spring.  But in Minnesota, that's a long time coming.  It is nice to think about the snow melting, and the temperatures warming, but in some ways it's also pure torture!  But with the arrival of seed and perennial catalogs certainly comes longing for the next gardening season to begin.  In that vein, I've already put together my vegetable garden plot for next year.  This may undergo some changes yet - it'll only be our second year of gardening on this site and I need to do some research regarding companion planting, but I already know that I need to make sure that I move the potatoes and tomatoes from year to year to discourage scabs and blight, respectively.  And I already know not to plant the cucumber near the squash.  But here is the overall plan for the garden:

2 comments:

  1. I hope to do much more food gardening this year than I did last year, when we joined a CSA and let the garden lie neglected. I look forward to planning what to grow, and starting some things from seed. I have a nice-size but not a huge plot, so I've never grown anything that needs a lot of space. I'll look forward to following your progress this year and I've added you to my blogroll. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have a follower! :) I have your site on my blog list as well and have really enjoyed it, though I haven't posted comments.

    We have a smaller yard ourselves that is mostly shaded, but last year a neighbor generously allowed us to take over her very large vegetable garden, and it was a great experience and we learned a lot. I'm hoping the 2011 gardening year will be just as successful.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete