Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Martagon Lily Update

bLast fall, I purchased and planted some martagon lily bulbs. Martagon lilies are shade loving plants, which is great for a yard full of tall oaks that provide lots of lightly dappled shade.  I have never seen martagons in person, but from what I've read, they have whorled foliage that emerges early in the season, and will develop small waxy flowers with recurved petals.  Martagons are slow to increase, which is nice if you don't want to disturb your plantings, but not so much if you want them to multiply in your gardens. From what I have read, they can also lay dormant the first year that they're planted, depending upon the size of the bulb.  So I wasn't sure what to expect of them this spring.  When would they emerge?  What would they look like?  Would I even see them this year?  Well, the good news is that two of three varieties I planted last year are starting to grow!  Here's how they looked today.





The third variety hasn't emerged yet, but I'm not going to give up hope because it was a small, small little bulb compared to the other two.  The one that hasn't sprouted yet is the Pink Attraction martagon, and here's a picture of what it will hopefully look like in my garden some day.
I'd love to hear from other bloggers who may have experience with these understated beauties!

No comments:

Post a Comment