Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Winter Walk

Winter Road on a Sunny Afternoon
Winter always puts me in a funk, but if I could see beyond it, there is a lot of beauty in the season.  I happened to pull out my phone and take a few pictures on my afternoon walk.  The temperature was a brisk 23 degrees.  We have had a very dry fall.  Usually we have a few inches of snow on the ground this time of year.  This dusting was just from the overnight.

A very sunny Shade Garden
We also stopped by Rita's to take a peek at our vegetable garden but I just couldn't bring myself to take a picture.  It's strange to think how land that is so fertile and verdant in the summer can be so barren and cold just a few short months later.
Rabbit and Deer Tracks - I wonder which came first
I wish I could learn to love winter.  Maybe I need to solicit the advice of other northern gardeners to see how they cope in the gardening off-season.

2 comments:

  1. I quilt, bake, craft, and plan for next year's garden. Snowshoeing helps too. Find a winter hobby. My mom crochets and my sister knits. My husband builds log furniture. Trust me, once the ground melts it is all out the window and back to gardening. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I need to take up quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete