Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ring-necked Duck

It's fishing opener in Minnesota, but the lakes are quiet today except for the whitecaps from the strong winds.  These Ring-necked Ducks were finding a little respite from the rough waters along our shoreline.

L to R:  Male and Female Ring-necked Duck

What a beautiful bill!


According to Ducks Unlimited,  the "ring-necked" name comes from a faint brownish ring at the base of the neck that you can slightly distinguish on the first picture. 

And this lonely Mallard seems like he's not really sure what to do and eventually swam off, perhaps to find another of his kind.

L to R:  Ring-necked male, female, and male Mallard
Duck recap from this spring:
Mallard
Common Mergansers
Hooded Mergansers
Ring-necked Duck
Common Loon

I wonder what we'll see next!

2 comments:

  1. I sure enjoy your duck photos. I saw so many ducks going back home this week. I wish I had known there were so many breeds when I was a kid. We don't get a lot of ducks in the hills. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice to see so many different types of ducks! Your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete